9 Plumbing Resolutions to Set in the New Year
As the new year approaches, you might find yourself pondering resolutions for self-improvement. Along with any personal goals you set, consider resolving to take better care of your plumbing. Here’s how.
- Keep your pipes warm: Winter is the most important time of year to insulate your plumbing because it helps prevent frozen pipes. You can also install insulation on pipes leading to and from your water heater to improve efficiency.
- Be kind to your garbage disposal: This appliance isn’t a trash can. To avoid problems, never put stringy, starchy, or fibrous foods down the kitchen sink, and always pour grease into the trash to prevent it from solidifying in your plumbing.
- Be careful what you flush: Your toilet also isn’t a trash can, so stick to flushing toilet paper and human waste. If you need a reminder, post a sign in the bathroom with a list of things you shouldn’t flush.
- Give your water heater some attention: It may be out of sight, out of mind, but your water heater is one of the hardest working appliances in your home. Keep it running well in the new year with a little maintenance, including a mini-flush, T&P relief valve test, and thermostat adjustment from 140 to 120 degrees.
- Cut back on water usage: This resolution is good for your wallet and the environment! It only takes a few small changes to make a big difference, such as shutting off the water when you brush your teeth and installing low-flow showerheads. Adopt some water conservation habits next year, and make them your new way of life!
- Pay attention to hard water problems: Many New Jersey homeowners struggle with the effects of hard water, which include dry skin and hair, chalky residue on plumbing fixtures, clogged faucets and showerheads, and damaged appliances. If you have these problems, this could be the year you install a whole-house water softener.
- Invest in annual plumbing inspections: Start a tradition of scheduling inspections for your drains and pipes at the beginning of each new year. Preventative visits can uncover problems with your plumbing that might otherwise go unnoticed until something serious happens.
- Safeguard your pipes: After having your drains cleaned, keep them flowing well for the rest of the year by using mesh strainers. These catch hair, soap particles, bits of food, and other debris before they find their way into your plumbing.
- Know who to call in an emergency: Despite your best efforts to keep your plumbing in top shape, you may still face a plumbing emergency in the new year. If so, be sure to call Bob Hoegler Plumbing, a qualified plumber in Monroe Township with over three decades of experience serving central New Jersey!
Even adopting just one or two of these resolutions can make a big difference for your plumbing system in the new year! For more plumbing tips, or to request services, please contact us at 732-521-0133 today.